Polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) is an inflammatory disease. It results in muscle pain and stiffness. It is most common in the shoulders, arms, hips, and thighs.
PMR is most common in people over 50 years of age. It is more common in women and people of European descent.
Here are some symptoms:
- Muscle pain and stiffness in the hip, shoulder, or neck
- Pain that spreads to the elbows or knees
- Low energy
- Weight loss without a known cause
You will be asked about your symptoms and health history. A physical exam will be done. PMR will be suspected if symptoms are there for more than 2 weeks.
Your blood may be tested.
Treatment leads to rapid relief within 24-48 hours.
You may have:
- Reviewer: EBSCO Medical Review Board Warren A. Bodine, DO, CAQSM
- Review Date: 05/2018 -
- Update Date: 05/11/2016 -